Teresa E. Christy Collection
Teresa Elizabeth Christy (3/31/1927-4/3/1982) received her Ed.D. from Teachers College, Columbia University in 1967, and she served as Instructor and Lecturer in the Department of Nursing Education from 1967 until 1970.
The Brooklyn-born daughter of Irish Catholic fireman, James P., and wife, Charlotte (Pardy), Teresa Christy was a Nurse Cadet at Manhattanville College of Sacred Heart, completing her BSN in 1949. She worked for two years and then entered the order of Nursing Sisters of the Sick Poor of the Child Jesus, but left after three months.
She began a career as an educator as an Instructor of Nursing Arts at St. Joseph's Hospital in Joliet, Illinois from 1950-60, and during this time completed her MSN from DePaul University. In 1960 she assumed position of Assistant Professor at Molloy College, NY and became chair of the Department of Nursing in 1963.
In 1970 Christy joined the faculty at Adelphi University and was director of the program from 1970-72. She moved to Iowa in 1974 and taught at the University of Iowa with a visiting professorship at University of Illinois in Chicago.
Throughout her professional career Teresa Christy was active in professional and civic organizations. A pioneer in the struggle to gain acceptance of historical research as a research methodology, her presence on the ANA Commission on Nursing Research brought recognition for historical research.
She was a founder and first president of the International History of Nursing Society, which was later named the American Association for the History of Nursing. Dr. Christy inspired many of the leading nursing historians today.
In honor of her excellence as a teacher, the American Association for the History of Nursing annually awards the Teresa E. Christy Award for excellence of historical research and writing done while the researcher was in a student status. The award features a seagull because Dr. Christy always wore a medallion with a seagull on one side and on the obverse the inscription, "You have the freedom to be yourself, now and forever." The ashes of Teresa E. Christy are buried in Thorn Rose Cemetery in Staunton, Virginia.
Spanning the years 1910-1965, this collection includes papers and materials of Teresa E. Christy that relate to Teachers College and nursing history. Types of material include correspondence, notes, and Isabel M. Stewart letters, speeches, and papers. Also included are Nutting papers, Lavinia Dock letters, material on Johns Hopkins Hospital and the NLNE Committee on Early Nursing Source Materials. Some of the material was originally lodged in the Archives of the Department of Nursing Education at Teachers College. Printed material is also included from the Training Camp for Nurses, Vassar College.
Teresa E. Christy Faculty File
Created By: Pocket Master